September 4, 2012

Zig-A-Zag ZEAL!

During this year's LV Orientation, we spent a great deal of time focusing on the twelve Lasallian virtues in education and living the mission. One virtue that stuck out to me was zeal - the teacher instructs students by their good example and dedication. This morning, we celebrated our "Back to School Mass for Teachers", and as I mentioned in my "Happiness Journal" yesterday, I selected an awesome LaSalle meditation for post-communion. 

194.3 Third Point
To bring the children whom you instruct to take on the Christian spirit, you must teach them the practical truths of faith in Jesus Christ and the maxims of the holy Gospel with at least as much care as you teach the truths that are purely theoretical.
It is true that a number of doctrines are absolutely necessary for us to know in order to be saved, but what would it serve to know them if we did not take the trouble to practice the good to which we are bound?
Faith, Saint James says, without good works is dead. Saint Paul also says, If I knew all the mysteries and had full knowledge and all the faith such that I move mountains from one place to another but have not charity (that is, sanctifying grace), I am nothing.
Is your main care, then, to instruct your disciples in the maxims of the holy Gospel and the practice of the Christian virtues? Have you anything more at heart than helping them find their happiness in these practices? Do you regard the good you are trying to achieve in them as the foundation of all the good they will practice for the rest of their life? The habits of virtue that are cultivated during youth encounter less resistance in corrupt nature and form the deepest roots in the hearts of those in whom they have been formed.
If you want the instructions you give to those whom you have to instruct to be effective in drawing them to the practice of good, you must practice these truths. You must be full of zeal, so that your students may be able to receive a share in the grace that is in you for doing good and your zeal may draw down on you the Spirit of God to inspire your students in the same way. 

-Saint John Baptist de La Salle

I felt a particular joy when I read this reflection, because it reminded me of why I am doing what I do: I enjoy being a part of the education world, and touching the hearts of students. I want my students to feel that same feeling when they go out into the community doing service. Can you imagine what the world would be like if all this came full circle? Hmmm...

Happiness Journal (September 4):
  • seeing all of the teachers come back to Loughlin today and sharing in the excitement of the new year
  • hearing the reactions of some of the student leaders when they walked into my office and saw me there: "Mr. Hueg, you're here another year?" "Mr. Hueg, I'm so excited to see you!" etc. (what a great feeling, legit)
  • pumpkin iced coffee is officially back at Dunkin Donuts (better padlock that wallet when walking to the train after work...)
  • watching Robin Hood: Men In Tights with Jen tonight and recasting the whole movie based off the brothers and volunteers in the DENA district! 
"The miracle is not that we do this work, but that we are happy to do it." -Mother Teresa

Live Jesus In Our Hearts. Forever! 

No comments:

Post a Comment