September 15, 2012

Life is a definite roller coaster!

Happiness Journal (Sept. 12):

  • finding the Cities 97 Acoustic Mixes on my iPod on the way to school -- definitely made for a peaceful train ride
  • FINALLY getting to see "Wicked" on Broadway; it was a pretty decent show, but of course, watching all of the technical elements were my favorite! :)
  • drinking Vanilla Barq's root beer at Five Guys before the show
  • knocking out the minute I got home from the show (hence writing this post a day late...)
"Life is a song - sing it! Life is a game - play it! Life is a challenge - meet it! Life is a dream - realize it! Life is a sacrifice - offer it! Life is love - enjoy it!" -Sai Baba

 Thursday

So today started off as a pretty sweet day. For the past 2 days, we have been teaching the freshmen all about Saint John Baptist de La Salle, what it means to be Lasallian now that you are a part of Bishop Loughin MHS, and what Campus Ministry/Lasallian Youth do and how to join! The students have been so awesome and I can see a change in them already in becoming Lasallian. With all this said, my day took 180 degree turn on the way home; my phone was stolen from me on the subway. Now, if you've been keeping up with my blog, that is 2 things that have gone from me in the past month (my wallet was returned to me, however). It was a pretty sucky situation, but I got it all taken care of to suspend the phone and order a new one. After talking with both my mom and dad, we realized that it was pretty great that these all at least happened in my second year of being out here vs. my first because I probably would've packed my bags and left, not getting to experience all that I have over the past year!

Happiness Journal (Sept. 13):

  • after watching a short movie about JBDLS, we ask the students what they learned, and of them responded, "De La Salle only taught 4 children." It took me a minute to realize what he meant, but he heard poor as 4; needless to say, at least he was paying attention to participate
  • this same student later responding to "What are the 3 main values all Lasallians believe in?". His response: "Faith, Community, and SURVIVE!" (its really getting difficult to hold in laughter, but that's what this Happiness Journal is for). 
  • #ThursdayForDunkin; i've become addicted to Dunkin Donuts Iced Pumpkin Coffee, but living on a stipend made me realize I can only go once a week aka Thursday hence the hashtag! :D
  • Glee Season 4 Premiere. 
"Don't let life discourage you; everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was." - Richard L. Evans

Happiness Journal (Sept. 14):
  • having more service sites contact me for project with our students! 
  • talking for a good, long while with my boss, Melissa, about all the opportunities to apply for after LV-ing
  • spending the afternoon with my Campus Ministry students, planning out our year together, and all the fun activities they want to see happen! 
  • going out for some delicious authentic German food and beer with Melissa and Foley (my professional mentor) after all of our students left to catch up on the first week of classes!
  • coming home to my new phone and getting to set it all up again
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Happiness Journal (Sept. 15):
  • sleeping in until I wanted to get out of bed
  • cleaning up my room after "Hurricane BOTSY" (beginning of the school year) blew through this past week
  • not really doing anything else but watching sports and movies all day
"My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can." -Cary Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment