September 3, 2012

Where did August go?

Well here I am on the night before the new academic year begins wondering where that month of August went? It is crazy to think I am already a month into my second year as a Lasallian Volunteer!! It would be too much to state all that happened in that month, but let me just say: IT WAS GREAT! Lots more exploring, hanging with friends, a visit from family, and checking more things off the "Stuff to do before leaving New York list" <-- still have a long way to go though with this list. Maybe I will post it to keep everyone in the loop, knowing what I am trying to get to. :).

So with a new year comes a new feeling to this blog. I want to continue clueing everyone into what is happening with my life, but will also begin to try and update more regularly. My friend Carly, currently serving in Providence, RI, is doing something I absolutely love on her blog that I have decided to "borrow". A great brother, Brian Henderson, said that the real meaning of the Brothers letters "FSC" means: Find it, Steal it, Copy it. :). That is exactly what I am doing. I am going to try and post every day some things that made me happy or smile throughout the day. So often I rush through my day, getting the tasks completed without actually stopping to look at what makes this experience so beautiful. To sum up my "happiness journal", I will include a quote from poetry, songs, movies, etc. on how I am feeling about the day, and what impacted me! I really look forward to seeing the growth throughout the year, and being able to truly look back and remember this second year of being a Lasallian Volunteer!

So...let's begin:

Things that made me happy today (this past weekend):

  • seeing all my wonderful DENA (District of Eastern North America) volunteers at the A-Frame for a final weekend of relaxation before the hectic school year
  • jamming out to mixes on the car ride up and back, remembering all this "old school" music
  • finding the perfect reflection for tomorrow's "Back to School" Teacher Mass by St. John Baptist de La Salle
  • having the smell of campfire remain present in my room after unpacking my laundry from the weekend - a stepping stone into the beautiful smell of autumn! 
"Plan your hours to be productive; Plan your weeks to be educational; Plan your years to be purposeful; Plan your life to be an experience of growth; Plan to change; plan to grow." -Iyanla Vanzant

No comments:

Post a Comment