August 25, 2011

"Operation Paint My Room" and Natural Disasters...

...has consumed my life for the past week!! :).

Let's start with the fun that was had last weekend, on a mini vacation; Narragansett, Rhode Island! Bro. Ed was on a retreat out in that area, and invited us to come along, and stay with the Brothers for the weekend, and while they were in retreat, we could go hang out at the beach...
...and we did! The beach was beautiful, and the weather was spectacular! Only complaint is cold water, but that's the ocean so there's not much I can do about that, right?!

While in Rhode Island with community, we called up the girls who were volunteering IN RI, and met up with them, sharing stories of the first few weeks of service. Needless to say, it was an enjoyable weekend, and much needed relaxation from all the hard-work I've been doing at school (sarcasm... :/ )

It was then back to the community, where I presented to Bro. Ed the idea of painting my room. When I first suggested this, it sounded like a brilliant plan, and was all excited to no longer be staying in the back, attic room, with all white walls. I looked at the inventory in the basement, of what we had, and compiled a group of paint cans of what I thought would work. The final color choices (as described through my eyes) are: salmon-y orange-ish, and battleship grey-ish blue.
Salmon-y Orange-ish, and final posters hung on the wall...
Battleship Grey-ish Blue, and more wall hanging goodness...

Aside from painting my room, my week up until tonight, was somewhat dull unless we talk about natural disasters hitting the East Coast!
  1. Earthquake: while Kenny and I played stay-at-home volunteers (kind of like stay-at-home mom's) and baked cookies all afternoon, an earthquake shook parts of NYC and beyond. I personally, did not feel any of the shakes or after shocks, but saw it explore all over facebook, and became curious. The best part of this whole earthquake drama was reading the papers the following day, and seeing all the panic on people's face! The best story: an 18 year old bride rushed out of City Hall on the Lower East Side, waiting to get married, because her soon-to-be husband wasn't answering her calls, and the phone was "dead". It came to be discussed later, that the bride knew her fiance´ was on the local subway train headed to City Hall, but its all she could think to do when she felt the shaking. Society is falling apart right in front of my eyes out here...
  2. Hurricane Irene: big talk has been flying about the upcoming Hurricane Irene, set to hit the East Coast/Tri-State Area within the next day or two...people are going nuts out here! Evacuations have been planned, and stores are being bought out of all the products people are told to get. Yes, I am glad people are stocking up and playing it safe, but if you listen to the news, we are at a now Category 1, which results in heavy rains (8-10") and mighty winds (60-80 mph). If you ask me, that sounds like a great activity for a Saturday afternoon; document the storm as it passes by (be sure to stay tuned to find out my discoveries...). All in all, I will be safe in the storm in our awesome house, on top of a hill, documenting every moment! :)
Turning the tables completely, I want to send a reminder about the LV Races 2011, which will be taking place Oct. 29, 2011 in the Twin Cities! :). As a dedicated rookie runner, and the support of my housemate Kenny, at this present time, I will be running the half-marathon (yes, fat kid running is enough entertainment to last a lifetime...). I appreciate all forms of prayer and support as I continue on the path to success. Currently, there are 62 days until the race, and Kenny and I are feeling good about completing training properly, as well as beasting the half-marathon! If looking for the site to sponsor me, follow here! As an incentive to donate, with every donation I receive, I will be sure to send you a personalized, autographed photo of myself at the completion of the race, IN FULL COSTUME, proving that I completed the race, and loved all the support you provided for me! :)

To turn the tables one last time, today began the beginning of a long journey towards breaking one of my fears: bicycles! After learning I didn't know how to bike because of fear I had, Kenny made it his responsibility to teach me how to ride, seeing as he just finished being awesome and biking a quarter of the country! After the many attempts on the sidewalk outside our house, there was one successful, full rotation of the pedals before I freaked out, squeezed the brakes, and threw my feet down. It is a nice thought knowing I enjoy people watching, but really it is now the neighborhood who is watching me make a fool of myself. I am determined to master this skill before Kenny's second year of service ends, no matter how foolish I look! 

This is the first battle wound from riding the bike: the pedal came around and knicked the back of leg/ankle area. However, after evaluating the injury, it kind of looks like a smily face, providing positive encouragement to continue riding! :)
ONE LAST THING (I promise...): I have been receiving questions about my address, and where people might be able to send awesome letters and such (for every letter I receive, I will send a response!)

Christopher Hueg
Lasallian Community
2850 Marion Ave
Bronx, NY 10458

Live Jesus In Our Hearts. Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment