August 19, 2011

Everyone needs a little R & R!!

This last week provided for a bit of relaxation and less running around than what has been happening the past 2 weeks. I did, however, still get out and tour around parts of the city I hadn't seen yet! :).

Sunday, after the LV Riders arrived, a delicious meal was shared, and we decided to watch a movie as an extended community. The choice: 500 Days of Summer. For those that have seen it, you can testify to how awesome the movie is. For those that haven't, I suggest renting it, and enjoying.

I have 2 favorite parts to that movie:

  1. "Day 34: Darling, I don't know how to tell you this, but there is a Chinese family watching us from our bathroom." (if you have seen the movie, you understand. if not, i don't want to spoil the awesomeness of the quote, so i'll let you discover for yourself!!)
  2. Who wouldn't enjoy being this happy and in love?! (click me)
On Monday, seeing that we had first timer's from the ride in NYC, Kenny and I decided to go out into the city with them, and show them some awesome locations! We first let them experience the Subway system, and then headed towards Central Park. I was able to experience the actual park part this time of Central Park, unlike last time. Ha. While walking around, we saw some famous parts of the park that are easily recognizable when walking through them. For example, the line of oak trees that create a canopy has been used in several films, and actually while walking through, they were filming a segment for a film that was in French. To say I was "on-set" makes me think my theatre degree is being used for something. ;). Also, the giant fountain in Central Park used for the final shot in Enchanted's "That's How You Know" as well as Home Alone 2, and Step-Mom. After venturing through Central Park, it began to rain, and we headed towards F.A.O. Schwarz Toy Store. To be a kid, running through there is a dream come true. Plus, the big attraction: giant keyboard used in the movie "Big"!!

Monday night, we decided to stick with watching a movie as extended community, but settled upon a scary movie. The ghost stories from Philadelphia came back up, and thus landing a choice of scary movie. Many of you who know me understand that I do not like scary movies at all!! My roommates during senior year wanted to watch a scary movie with me, but it never happened. Needless to say, I suffered through it, and surprisingly found myself screaming only in the last scene of the movie. Oh yes, the movie we chose was Paranormal Activity. That night, it was funny to walk upstairs and see all of the lights on in the rooms where people were sleeping, because of fear of turning out the lights. I, however, did not join their club, and was able to fall asleep without the lights on! :). 

Tuesday was extremely relaxing, sleeping in and bumming around the house. It was also my night to cook dinner, and man was it delicious. How can you go wrong with steak on the grill, grilled corn and asparagus, and cheesy, garlic mashed potatoes! Mmmmmm. The meal ended with delicious carrot cake cupcakes and cream cheese frosting, courtesy of Kelly Towns, one of the National Riders for LV's Ride! 

Wednesday provided for another Broadway show! Waking up early morning, Glenna and Kelly (National Riders) wanted to rush a show. We headed out of the house, and went for the Gershwin Theatre where Wicked would be playing an afternoon matinee. We entered our names into the lottery for front row seats, but unfortunately came out empty handed. Looking at the schedule, we found Phantom of the Opera was also showing an afternoon matinee that day, and headed towards that theatre. It was this moment I was able to see how comfortable I am in the city, being able to navigate the streets, and get to our next theatre without wasting too much time! We purchased our tickets, enjoyed a quick lunch at John's Pizzeria across the street before the show, and then the curtain rose. WHAT A SHOW! I have enjoyed listening to the music for several years, and now being able to see it live, painted so much more of a picture for me! I still look in awe at all of the technical elements of the show, and how ahead of it's time it was when it first opened! I catch myself looking around the theatre while watching sometimes more for tech elements than the actual actors. I guess that is another thing I can credit towards my awesome theatre education! 

Being the riders last night in our community, we decided for a little laughter that evening. What better way to come together and laugh, then WII SPORTS!! Everyone got involved playing bowling, golf, and tennis. That evening, I learned how competitive the community gets over the games, especially Brother Bill! I am definitely going to have to take lessons from him in tennis and golf. I don't think he has lost a game since he started. (Dad, he will give you a run for your money when you come to visit...)

Finally, Thursday, Kenny and Stephanie were heading into their school, LaSalle Academy, located in the village of Manhattan, and invited me along to join. After stopping in to show Stephanie the school, we walked around the neighborhood, and got to see things a normal tourist wouldn't venture to find. Kenny introduced us to his favorite Thai restaurant, not far from the school offering amazing lunch specials! We also then walked back towards the Subway, first stopping in his favorite independent bookstore, and spent some time exploring! 

Here you can see just part of my favorite area of the bookstore: a section dedicated just to scripts! :). The shelves for this portion extended quite a ways, and I can't wait to go back and explore more of the store! 

We ended the night with a community viewing of Memphis: A New Musical on our Netflix account! (Yes, this is the musical I saw my first weekend here, but we wanted to enjoy it again, so we watched it!). The whole community life is totally coming together, and I am really enjoying my time here, looking forward to all the new things that I am going learn over the next year!

For the weekend, we are heading to Narragansett, RI to spend some time at beach resort as a community, and enjoy a relaxing weekend with the Rhode Island volunteers as well! 

Until next time...

Live Jesus In Our Hearts. Forever.  

No comments:

Post a Comment