September 6, 2011

"Hurricane Irene" + Labor Day Weekend...

...equals my last week of freedom before work starts!

As I mentioned in the last post, Hurricane Irene was making her way towards the Tri-State area, thus leaving us here in the NYC Metro area to a panic. The city went crazy about trying to get everything prepared to weather the storm, and survive. Here at Bedford Park, we took necessary precautions towards getting all of the important food items in the house; milk, bread, eggs, and beer! The last three seem to be no problem, but it seemed with the first one, milk, every time someone would leave the house, they would return with a gallon of milk. Let's take a quick math break: 7 gallons of milk + 1 predicted hurricane + 1 possibility of power outage = 1 big problem. As a community, we made it our responsibility to drink as much of that milk before the storm hit, so as to not have spoiled milk, in case of a power outage. Luckily, Irene didn't stay long in our neighborhood, if at all. We had a light sprinkling of rain one night, waking up to a small bit of wind the following morning. Being that the hurricane was amped up to be so much stronger, I would say it was somewhat of a letdown! :/.

With that excitement aside, I had to figure out what I was going to do with my last week of freedom before all the fun of work began up, and my sense of a social life dwindled away. On Monday morning, Kenny, Stephanie and I set out for the Ground Zero area again, as well as making a stop to visit Battery Park. While walking around Battery Park, Kenny and Stephanie suggested we take the Staten Island Ferry, and seeing that none of us had actually used this fun mode of transportation, we made our way towards the loading station. The large boat is used primarily by tourists, but its true purpose is to transport residents from Manhattan to Staten Island, and vice versa. Along our beautifully short boat ride, we were able to pass a very well-known monument...

...LADY LIBERTY! Seeing this gorgeous babe will be receiving cosmetic surgery next month, I wanted to be sure to see her before that all happened. Hoping the surgery goes well for her, I am hoping in my coming years of service to go inside the statue, and climb to the top! :).

Irony?! This is where I was standing when I was traveling across the water onto Staten Island!
After taking the ferry back to Manhattan, we began a day of historical sight-seeing (my mother was very proud!) It began at Fraunces Tavern, the sight where George Washington said goodbye to his troops. After walking around the museum, and seeing it was close to lunch time, the three of us decided to stop by the bar, and enjoy a brewski with George Washington, as well as share in a small "mini" meal (all the names of the dishes for lunch began with the word MINI). After lunch, Kenny and I parted ways with Stephanie, and continued to explore the lower part of Manhattan, seeing parts of Wall Street Stock Exchange, JP Morgan Chase's original house, Trinity Church, as well as making a stop again at St. Paul's Chapel, across the street from Ground Zero. 

After revisiting some of the already seen sites, the "find historical buildings as you go" walking tour brought us into China Town, leading us to Five Points (the location/neighborhood from Gangs of New York), completing out our day at the Lower East Side Tenement Museum! The museum allowed for Kenny and I to go back in time, and understand what it was like for families to live the way did during the times of immigration, and segregation of the mid-1800's in New York City! After having such an awesome tour guide, we decided to become members so as to be able to enjoy the other awesome stories and visits provided through the museum! 

Being that this day of sight-seeing was very exhausting, I took the next 2 days to relax before having to head into work, and finally be able to begin my year of service! My first official day of work was Sept. 1! The day began quite nice, making it into the neighborhood early, allowing for the chance to find a local coffee shop, with awesome bagels! :). Being the first day, as with an educational field-ish, it was a basic overview of the school year, and what to expect from my job. I was also able to meet some of the students who were considered leaders of the school through Campus Ministry and Student Council! Though it was only a short, 5 hour day, I came home exhausted, wondering what a full-length school day might be like! 

Seeing that school was closed the next day for holiday weekend, the community and I traveled to the A-Frame house, about an hour north-ish of Albany, to meet up with the other LV's who are serving along the East Coast (minus the Rhode Island girls who were not able to attend). It was a weekend of relaxation, kayaking, swimming, and different yard games! Kenny, being the awesome outdoorsy man that he is, convinced me to go out on the Hudson River with him and try kayaking. I had sat in a kayak before and maybe completed 2 swift motions with the paddles, before feeling that I was not able to do it. This time was different, and Kenny was convinced that I was able to make it upstream to go and see the beautiful waterfalls! The first minute seemed to look promising, until my kayak began to fight back, and not want to cooperate (notice how I put the blame on the inanimate object versus myself, knowing that I am far more competent than it). In the end, my kayak was not working with me, specifically not wanting to turn left, thus resulting in naming him Zoolander! Ha. 

Besides Zoolander and I not being able to agree, the weekend was very enjoyable, and provided for a nice ending celebration before the commotion of the school year kicks in! 

Today, Tuesday, felt to me as my first official day going to work, and serving the Loughlin community!


Being on the other side of the education table, it felt kind of surreal to be a part of the important, motivational teacher meetings, providing encouragement for the coming school year, and with our students! To think I was tired on Thursday, after a short 5 hour day, seemed to be an understatement, after coming closer to a typical work day! The feeling was sheer exhaustion when I left work, and to add onto it, the rain outside made me feeling like Eeyore walking to my Subway station (which in the rain, seemed forever and a day away!)

Looking back on the last week and a half, it has been enjoyable and rewarding, and has provided a sense of reflection going into the new school year! I will forever cherish the awesome sights I was able to see, and the memories I was able to share with my housemates! I know that as the year goes on, the draining nature of the job will ware off, and my social life will come back into existence. For now though, it is beginning it hibernation early! 

Lastly, I wanted to remind everyone about the LV Races; LV's Running Scared Monster Dash 2011! Just 52 days before I embark on 13.1 mile journey, I never dreamt of doing! Don't forget the incentive of a personalized, autographed photo with every donation received. More incentives/prizes to come!

Wanting to send a special thanks to all of my family and friends who have been praying for me, as well, as creating a strong support system! Without you, I would not be enjoying myself as much as I am so early in this year of service! I love you all! :).

One last last thing before signing out: for all of you Lewis folk who remember Bartholomew Josiah from last year, I believe this comic, found in the New York Daily Post last week, sums up our relationship for the 20 days we were together...


Sorry this turned into such a long post, I promise to make the coming month's ones shorter! 

Live Jesus In Our Hearts. Forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment