November 5, 2012

November?! Really?!

Seriously, November?! I feel like I was just ringing in the new year!! 

Anyways...pt. 2 of Hurricane Sandy was nothing of excitement. On Halloween night, Ed was stranded in Rhode Island, and I was able to pick him up in Connecticut. The fun part about it -- his bus dropped him off on ELM STREET!!  SpOoOoOoOoky!! :).  

Thursday and Friday was a pretty boring day. I was able to catch up on all things needed for the upcoming LVs Run, as well as all my personal thank you notes for those who have donated. I also got myself out of the house, breathing fresh air, as I walked the neighborhood to survey the damage a few days later. 

Over the weekend though, I was able to spend most of the time in one of my favorite settings -- watching plays! And the best part about it?! I paid a total of $35 to see 3 shows!! #winning. 

1. The Mystery of Edwin Drood: This show was so much fun! Definitely what a comedy show is all about with the quick punch lines, and constant action! Plus, I got to see one of my favorite Broadway actresses (Stephanie Block) and CHITA RIVERA! That was definitely the highlight! I left the theatre with one of the biggest smiles I've had leaving the theatre since moving to New York! 

2. The Piano Lesson: A beautiful work by August Wilson, and to see it on stage, even more incredible. I was so drawn into the show, I didn't notice so many disruptions around me that were pointed out afterwards. Another exciting point about this show was receiving the tickets from a former set designer who I worked with at Lewis; Michael Carnahan. A true artist! I can't wait to go back and support when it officially opens, and experience it again! 

3. Modern Terrorism, Or They Who Want To Kill Us and How We Learn To Love Them: I had heard so many great things about this show, plus it was produced by one of my new favorite off-Broadway theaters, I was hoping for a great performance. And, I was given just that! It began as a great black comedy, with some racist jokes that I felt horrible laughing at, however the second act took a huge turn, and really brought out the emotion of the show. So incredible. In the end, a great production to end my weekend of show viewings. 

Lastly, today it was sooo great to get back to school after having a week off. I was so excited to get back, I wasn't able to sleep last night. Let me tell you...that almost never happens! The genuine concern from my students about my safety during the storm was overwhelming, yet felt so good at the same time. Needless to say, today was a slower day at school, with everyone checking in on each other. Can't wait for the city to be back to normal, but really is it ever going to be the same?! Time will tell.

Live Jesus In Our Hearts. Forever! 

No comments:

Post a Comment